Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Keeper

I stumble outta th' woods, barely keepin' track wi' th' lass. Whicha roit bitch job, tha'. If I no' see 'er, I no' ken she at. She na leava branchfall, that.

She take me outside I tol' Womblie stay. I turn ask 'er take care o' 'er... uh, bird-bugger-thing a tic. She 'appy ta 'op off. I ken she done wot that any'ow, flighty bird.

I turn ta th' cave.

I neva ken wotta father feel, that. Na' 'avin' me own, I go' nuthin at it. Na' sure wo' I feel be th' father that, bu' I got a roit fekked knot me belly.

Na wunner pop split.

22 comments:

HomoDM said...

Mercurio finds Womblie standing just inside the mouth of the cave. The golem issues no greeting, no sign of recognition, merely a report.

"No 'bogeys' have been permitted to leave this cave," he states flatly. "They are starving and have fallen upon one another in their hunger. Not even their young have been spared."

Mercurio said...

Mercurio hides the fact that he's disappointed at his greeting. He smiles at the beginning of the report, but cringes at the last part.

"Fekk! I.. eh... so. 'Ow you at, mate?"

He pauses, trying to think of what to say. He looks down at the ring on Womblie's hand, then back at him.

He puts on a jovial air. "Oy, mate," he says, gently punching Womblie on the shoulder, then shaking his hand in pain, "Ya like this or ya want somethin' elsa do, that?"

Mercurio tries to keep up a smile but can't keep it from fading.

HomoDM said...

"The dead do not want," Womblie replies blandly, never taking his soulless eyes from the cave, lest some cagey goblin try to sneak past. "I do as my master instructs. That is my only function anymore."

Mercurio said...

Mercurio opens his mouth, then closes it.

"Roit... 'bout that."

He paces around Womblie for a few moments before hopping onto a stone to look Womblie in the eye.

"Wot 'bout release? Leavinnis place? No mo' hogshite, see yer kin, ivory maidens or wot that?"

HomoDM said...

"My destruction? I have not considered it."

Mercurio said...

"Well..." Mercurio starts to say as he looks for a higher vantage to jump up to, if he need.

"Well, jus' askin'. Wot if I... ordered ya ken that, mate? Wot if... yeh. Think 'bout it. Think boutcha life a'fore this. Can ya?"

HomoDM said...

"There are no memories. No ivory maidens. No preferences. If you wish me to destroy myself, I will do my best to comply."

Mercurio said...

Mercurio nods his head from side to side, a pained look on his face.

He asks with a weak smile, "So, 'bout tha snake folk, seen any that?"

HomoDM said...

"No yuan-ti have shown themselves, though no doubt they are near."

The eye-shine of a goblin can briefly be seen in the dark before it retreats once again into the cave.

HomoDM said...

Surprising Mercurio, Womblie asks spontaneously: "Have you been well?"

Mercurio said...

"Roit," Mercurio says, looking back at the cave. He takes a few steps so Womblie lies between him and the entrance.

"Iffin'..."

He pauses at Womblie's question, frowning.

He ducks down, his cloak furls around him, when he leans back a flask is in his hand and in his mouth.

He looks at Womblie. "I'm good, mate. Fekk. Iffin' ya git kil-... er... uh... beat downa tic by th' sna- Yuan-ti, they na' make ya yer own, that, roit?"

HomoDM said...

"It is difficult to predict with certainty. I am a weapon, after all, and different hands may use me to different ends."

Mercurio said...

Mercurio takes another swig.

"Fekk, mate..."

He takes yet another.

"Roit, three thing... Firs', forgive me. Second,... wait a tic..."

Mercurio places his flask into his left hand. He holds up his right hand, but then looks around pensively. He places it back within his cloak, yet an eerie, almost silent humming and hissing comes forth, drowned out by the sounds of the fauna around. He takes another sip.

He continues, "Second, hand me ya ring if ya can. Third, destroy yaself."

HomoDM said...

"The dead do not forgive," Womblie says, as he removes his ring and hands it to Mercurio.

"How would you like me to destroy myself?" He asks.

HomoDM said...

"If you would destroy me through violence," Womblie warns, "I cannot guarantee that I would be able to refrain from harming you."

Mercurio said...

"Roit," Mercurio blanches. "Wudnt gon' doit meself." The near-silent humming stops and Mercurio runs his right hand through his hair.

He crouches down on his rock, perched like an animal. He pulls his hood over his head.

"Gimme a tica think, that."

HomoDM said...

Womblie stands watching him for a long while.

Finally, he asks, "Wherefore your pity for me?"

Mercurio said...

Mercurio chokes a little from another sip of his flask at The Creature's latest comment.

"Fekk, mate. No' ken ya 'fore th' pity sort. Make us both shites we do that, roit?"

He tilts his head as he looks at Womblie. He checks his pouch where he placed Womblie's ring, then returns his game to The Creature.

"Roit, ya pick up on th' snakes here, that? Ya ken they be in that?" With his last comment he nods at the cave.

HomoDM said...

"It is a reasonable conclusion," the golem responds.

Mercurio said...

Mercurio empties his flask, then suddenly gets a look of courage. He stands up to full height.

"One, sorry. Don' come kill me. Two, goin thats (he nods to the cave) an kill any sna- Yuan-ti ya fi-... er.. hol' that. Kill any grown up Yuan-ti ya find, then. Three, look fer an' af'erlife ana dead kins anat."

Mercurio wipes his eyes. "Sorry that. An', serious, don' ever come trya kill me an' me mates, 'bo."

HomoDM said...

Womblie nods.

"Goodbye," he says, and walks into the cave.

Mercurio said...

Mercurio nods to the cave as Womblie enters. He waits a few heartbeats before he dives off into the forest. Despite charging off headlong, he makes hardly a sound or a stir in the foliage. He finds a nice, secluded spot, crouches down and holds his head in his hands. After a few moments in still silence, positive he's alone, he quietly weeps to himself.